- 01223 247236
- 72 Thoday Street (map of this place)
- CB1 3AX
- 4pm-11:30pm Mon-Thu; 4pm-1:30am Fri; noon-1:30am Sat; noon-11:30pm Sun
Pub on Thoday Street, a block north of Mill Road. It's a bit hidden away, so most of the people you'll find there will be locals and not tourists (unlike, say, the Eagle). It is always packed on Friday and Saturday nights.
It might be a freehouse; the Jan/Feb 2008 Cambridge CAMRA newsletter lists the beers as being Adnams Bitter, Fuller's London Pride, Timothy Taylor Landlord, Woodforde Wherry, Marstons Pedigree, and Tom Woods Jolly Ploughman. Westons cider available, according to the Good Cider Guide (and the CAMRA newsletter linked above).
They have a large garden with picnic-style benches that includes a covered section near the pub and heat lamps. Their three pet micropigs reside in the garden. There is also a cat. They show sport there sometimes, and there is a pool table and darts board.
It has no aspirations towards being a gastropub — they don't really do food other than tasty home-made pizzas. They usually have a good guest ale on.
Accessibility: There are steps at the (rather narrow) entrance.
Sign spotted outside in September 2007 advertised:
- Pub quiz from 7:30pm on Tuesdays
- £5.50 curry on Wednesdays
- Barbecue on Fridays and Sundays (presumably this only happens in summer/early autumn)
- £4.50 chilli on Saturdays
- Open all day on Sundays
- Cambridge CAMRA Jan/Feb 2008 newsletter (scroll down)
- Beer in the Evening comments
- CrawlPlanner comments
- Cambridge Online comments
- Pocket Pubs entry
Opening hours taken from the 2009 Good Beer Guide.